So you want to start recording your business’s inbound phone calls, but you’re not quite sure where to start. Aside from enabling speakerphone on one phone and using another phone (or tape recorder!) to record it, what options are available? This side-by-side comparison will show you the features and differences between two major call recording solutions: on-site recording vs. hosted call recording.
With on-site recordings, recording capabilities are built-in to your PBX phone systems. This type of call recording allows you to access your phone system in order to get to your recordings.
Features & Notes:
- On-site recording is built-in to many phone systems, and it does not require a separate system to use.
- On the other hand, many on-site call recording solutions are difficult to use. Specifically, it is difficult to find specific calls using a PBX-based system.
- The built-in interfaces in on-site recording are not user-friendly.
- You have to manage, collect, and deal with your own data.
- Interfaces aren’t optimized for ease of use.
- Setup may take time, and you’ll have to deal with the learning curve of actually figuring out how to gather the data you need.
- On-site recording requires a phone administrator. Usually, an IT administrator or similar employee is tasked with managing an on-site recording solution. In order to make the most of call recording, the phone administrator will need to dedicate potentially considerable amounts of time to managing the tasks associated with call recording: identifying calls, gathering and analyzing data and trends, and creating reports.
- With on-site call recording, you are responsible for managing your own backup processes. If you lose your recordings and you have no reliable backup system, the calls may be gone forever.
- You have to monitor and manage your own storage with on-site recording.
Hosted Call Recording
When you choose to partner with a professional call tracking and monitoring company, you’re trusting another service to record (and often manage) your calls and data for you. Hosted call recording is one of the solutions we offer at Callcap. Instead of using a built-in system to record your calls, our completely hosted solution keeps your information and recordings in the cloud. When your customers call in using a unique call tracking number, we forward your calls through our system automatically.
Features & Notes:
- Hosted call recording solutions give you immediate, secure access to your recordings anywhere you have access to your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
- Hosted call recording solutions are generally more user-friendly than on-site recording interfaces. At Callcap, our easy-to-use, intuitive interface means you don’t have to waste time finding the calls you want. Our reports are easily accessible via email and at the push of a button.
- With hosted call recording, you don’t need a phone administrator to deal with phone-specific issues. Instead of requiring an employee to sift through calls and deal with liabilities, your company gets only the information you need. With Callcap’s call recording solutions, you can see exactly how your sales are being lost, and then provide training to your employees to correct the problem. You’ll also have access to an archived recording of each call to your business, which provides a legal advantage that can protect you and your company from potential liabilities.
- If you ever do run into issues with your hosted call recording, a reputable call recording partner will be able to provide you support—just make sure you do your research ahead of time to make sure they’re available 24/7 to assist you with any problems, concerns, or questions you may have with your account.
- When you partner with a reputable hosted call measurement company like Callcap, you’re not left alone to figure out how to manage your backup. You can rest assured that your calls are secure and will be protected in case of outages, emergencies, and other unforeseen circumstances.
We’d love to answer any questions you have about the differences between on-site and hosted call recording solutions. Give us a call to discuss which solution can help you achieve your business goals.